1. Wrap a shower cap around your shoes: : you can find shower caps in about every hotel around the world. Wrap it around your shoes so that they do not blemish your clothes inside your suitcase.
2. Scan your passport and id-card: email them consecutively to an accessible online e-mail address and onto your smartphone. You’ll never have to worry again about losing these valuable documents again.
3. Ensure that your carry-on luggage contains a pen: it’s mind boggling how many forms you still have to fill out manually while travelling. So, be prepared.
4. Wrap your laptop inside a hoodie: a laptop is a fragile object. Wrap it inside a hoodie or any other soft clothing inside your carry-on luggage to give it the necessary protective padding.
5. Photograph your hotel room number: in almost every hotel nowadays, you receive a key card for your room with no indications on it. So, it happens that in your enthusiasm you can sometime forget your room number. Avoid the embarrassing situation where you have to ask the hotel lobby staff your room number. Take a picture of your room number on your smartphone when arriving.
6. Take a suitcase with you with a crazy graphic pattern or colour: this is not to show off but to quickly perceive it on the luggage belt but also when it gets lost. Imagine explaining to airport staff the looks of your luggage. If it’s black, good luck with finding it between the tens of thousands of other black coloured luggage pieces. If it has a load of printed ladybugs on it instead, chances of finding it are increasing dramatically.
7. Watch videos on you smartphone comfortably during flight thanks to the trick with the transparent sandwich/freezer bag: put your smartphone inside the sandwich/freezer bag and hang it around the lid of the lunch tray attached to the seat in front you. Now you can comfortably watch some stored video on your smartphone instead of the inflight movie. Another improvised smartphone stand during flight ? Fold your sunglasses together, turn them upside down an put your smartphone onto it. Isn’t that the cleverest phone stand you’ve ever seen ?
8. Pack all crucial things (as well as a tooth brush, a change of underwear, socks and a comb) into your carry-on luggage during flight: if you travel by plane your luggage may not arrive at its destination (Don’t laugh. It happens every day hundreds of times worldwide.) With your carry-on luggage you now can survive a day or two.
9. At your destination, keep as much stuff inside your suitcase: this to avoid a packing nightmare when you have to leaf but also to have the comfort and peace of mind of a neat hotel room.
10. At night, when you are in your room keep your suitcase opened (like in ‘folded open’) for the night: so that the stuff inside can breath and your suitcase doesn’t transform into a smelling bio-hazard after a week or so.