1. Take a picture at shoulder height: when taking a picture of yourself, nothing more dissapointing than showing your arm with which you take your own picture. Turn your body a little bit an push the shoulder of the arm with which you’re holding the camera a little bit out of the camera frame. There you have the perfect position.
2. Search for a perfect backdrop: if you want to put yourself in the spotlight, make sure the background is not to crowded. Less is more for you to shine on your do-it-yourself picture.
3. Bend your head: bend your head a little bit to the left or the right. Avoid looking straight into the camera eye since it makes you look less flattering. Generally the left side of your face is more ‘picture attractive’ than your right side. Even more sexy is when you bend your head a little bit downward and subsequently look up into the camera eye.
4. Follow the 3×3 rule: divide your picture into nine equal (imaginary) squares. When you subsequently position yourself on one of the intersections of the imaginary points where the squares come together, that creates more tension than if you just would be in the middle of the picture.
5. Smile: people are always scared of overacting when smiling on a picture. Do not be afraid, you barely can overact when it comes to smiling on a picture. Also: open your eyes just that little bit more. It’ll definitely makes you sparkle.
6. Pay attention to the light: avoid taking pictures when the sun is at the highest point, around noon since it gives harsh shadows. If you want to avoid shadows, just use the built-in flash of your camera (yes, even in clear, sunny daylight) or wait for the so called ‘golden hours’ early in the morning or just before the sun sets.